History 1926 - 1967
Carbon black is used as a reinforcing filter to give the tire more resistance to wear and ageing, as well as its characteristic color.
Merger with major companies of the German rubber industry to form Continental Gummi-Werke AG. Takeover of plants in Hanover-Limmer and Korbach/Hesse.
Continental markets a rubber-metal bonding under the registered trade name of Continental Schwingmetall. It is used to isolate vibrations and noise when supporting motors.
Unbroken run of racing success with Continental racing tires fitted to Mercedes and Auto-Union cars. Four consecutive wins in the German Grand Prix, four successes in the North African Tripoli race, three in Italy and numerous speed records help racing drivers like Carraciola, Rosemeyer and Stuck to achieve international fame.
Synthetic rubber is introduced into the tire manufacturing process.
Foundation stone is laid for the tire plant in Stöcken, Hanover.
Patent application filed for tubeless tires.
Heavy bomb damage to the plants in Hanover-Vahrenwald and Korbach. The British military government grants permission as early as June, 1945 for the Hanover factories to resume production.
Production of steel cable conveyor belt starts.
Continental adds M+S tires for winter driving to its range of conventional tires.
In close collaboration with Daimler-Benz and Porsche, Continental repeats its pre-war successes on the track. Racing in cars fitted with Continental tires, drivers like Karl Kling, Stirling Moss and Juan Manuel Fangio win the 1952 Carrera Panamericana and the French, British, Dutch and Italian Grand Prix.
At the beginning of the year Continental is the first German company to start manufacturing tubeless tires.
Continental is also the first company to develop air springs for trucks and buses.
Mass production of radial tires begins.
Completion of the plant in Dannenberg, Germany. Initial production comprises plastic components for the automotive industry.
Construction of a tire plant in Sarreguemines, France (photo right). A factory for industrial products is built in Northeim, Germany.
Opening of the Contidrom tire testing facility on the edge of the Lüneburg Heath. In 1994/95 the facility is more than doubled in size to enable the construction of new tracks, including a 3.8 kilometer handling course for high-performance cars. In 2001 a 3.7 kilometer track for noise assessment is opened.